What are you searching?

Andalusian regional president visits Metro de Granada facilities, where ACCIONA Engineering has contributed to the works

10/06/2017
  • ACCIONA Engineering provided site management and technical support services on a 3.5 km section

The President of the Regional Government of Andalusia, Susana Díaz, visited the facilities of Granada’s new light rail system on 6 October. This infrastructure is designed to improve mobility in Granada’s metropolitan area and ACCIONA Engineering has contributed to the works.

As part of this project, ACCIONAEngineering was responsible for the works management and technical support services on the 3.5 km “Río Genil – Parque Tecnológico de la Salud” section, including a tunnel at the start of the section spanning approximately one kilometre.

The works on this section were worth €90 million and included significant improvements to the hard landscaping, finishes and street furniture along the open spaces and highways in the affected areas, as well as restoring the environment to its original state.

Integration of archaeology and infrastructure

The underground segment includes Alcázar Genil Station, where archaeological remains were found from a 13th-century Muslim palace, the Alcázar Genil. After discovering these remains, a conversion project was drawn up to integrate them into the modern infrastructures of the metropolitan station.

The Alcázar Genil station project combines the joint efforts of a variety of disciplines and links the engineering of the 13th and 21st centuries, integrating archaeology and the city’s history with the layout of a modern transport infrastructure.
This station was a finalist in the FAD Awards 2017 for Architecture, receiving the Opinion Award, and has also been nominated for the European Union Prize for Contemporary Architecture (Mies van der Rohe Award 2017).

Metro de Granada Line One. 16 kilometres and 26 stations

Some €558 million has been invested in Line 1 of Granada’s light rail system, covering 16 kilometres through Granada and its metropolitan area. An average of 25,000 passengers a day used it during the first two weeks after it came into service on 21 September. Demand is expected to reach 11 million users in the first year.

The dual-track international gauge line runs along city streets through the municipalities of Albolote, Maracena, Granada and Armilla. Some 83% of the line runs above ground, while the remaining 17% is underground. The line has 26 stops, with three underground and the rest on the surface. The fleet currently comprises 15 trains manufactured by CAF, measuring 2.65 m wide and 32 m long, with seating for 221.

Move up